Thursday, July 12, 2007

Becoming an Auntie

11 days ago my nephew Erik was born - my younger sister's first child and the first grandchild on our side of the family. I can hardly believe that my "little sis" is a parent. I am alternately overjoyed and slightly horrified.
Of course this means a change in my status as well - I am officially an aunt, and not just by marriage. There's no getting around that I am one of the people this adorable new person will count on in life - for hugs and encouragement, birthday presents and at least a little dirt on his mother.
Our Gospel passage for this Sunday is the story of the Good Samaritan - I think most folks know the story, or at least the part about the "good" Samaritan who stopped to help someone in need. Two lines always stick with me after reading this passage from Luke (chapter 10:25-37). The first is the lawyer's right answer about the law: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." - It is so all-encompassing this law of love. The other line that always gets me is the last in the passage. The lawyer has correctly identified the Samaritan who showed mercy as the one who was a neighbor to the beaten man in the road. And Jesus' response is: "Go and do likewise." Go and show mercy whenever and wherever it is needed.
I haven't even seen Erik in person yet, and already I love him. My sister and her husband are loving him like they've never loved anybody - the lack of sleep that goes with early parenting proves it.
I wonder if we can let our love for Erik teach us how to "go and do likewise" for any of God's children in need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Erik is a lucky little bug to have you as his Aunt! Love away.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Erik is a lucky little bug to have you as his Aunt. Love away!

Heather MacArnold :)

Edward Jensen said...

Congratulations!