Friday, May 30, 2008

Forget the doggy in the window...

Forget the doggy in the window - the question now is "how much is that used cooking oil out by the dumpster?" Today's New York Times has a great article about grease stealing! Of all things! While I understand the frustration of restaurant owners and contracted grease-picker-uppers, I have to admit it kind of makes me glad that used fryer oil is such a hot commodity. After all, there's a constant supply, and it's about time we started to get a little more creative.

Over and over again I hear people say things about "defending our way of life," though really I think they're saying they want our lifestyle defended -cheap food, goods and fuel, an abundance of whatever we want, however we want, whenever we want it.
Politicians and others seem loathe to even suggest that there might need to be a change in the American lifestyle. But honestly, America, are you kidding?! The rate of consumption in our culture is simply not sustainable. Perhaps it's time we ALL started getting a little more realistic. And creative. If not for the sake of our neighbor (which is where Jesus would point us, I believe), then for the sake of ourselves.

2 comments:

Edward Jensen said...

I like this sort of eco-friendly stealing! I read recently of computer services company that uses used fryer oil for their cars. America has a lot of entrepreneurs: perhaps someone should set up a nonprofit to convert used fryer oil to fuel for cars! And Phoenix should take the lead for this.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! Preach it.
I read an article in the Wall Street Journal that said if China's population used the same percentage of the earth's resources as did citizens of the United States, the world's resources would be exhausted.

Your comments made me sit up and think.

God's peace,
Chris