Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Confirmation Sunday

The fourth Sunday in April is "Confirmation Sunday" in the tradition of Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran. And it was a great day: eleven 9th graders stood in front of the congregation, publicly professed their faith, and answered this question:
Do you intend to continue in the covenant God made with you in Holy Baptism:
to live among God's faithful people,
to hear his Word and share in his supper,
to proclaim the good news of God in Christ through word and deed,
to serve all people, following the example of our Lord Jesus,
and to strive for justice and peace in all the earth?
And they answered: "I do, and I ask God to help and guide me." WOW!
This is quite a way of life. And I hope we've emphasized the gifts and responses in a way that will help these young people remember this question when they wonder what on earth they're here for. This question pretty much contains the job description for life as a Christian, and yet the "work" isn't really work - it's showing up to receive, to become who we are meant to be, to do what the Spirit works in us (sometimes even despite us!). Perhaps that's why we end our affirmative answer with "I ask God to help and guide me" - not a bad way to undertake anything in this life, really.
I always get excited on Confirmation Sunday. I hope the congregation is ready to embrace and encourage these new "adult members" - they've got ideas, energy, and gifts that God will put to great use.

No comments: