Sunday, May 27, 2007

Travels with, Ah, Revbear


Now that you know my means of transportation, let me share where I have been thus far. And, following that, we will get to the theological reflections that are central to this sabbatical experience, and the photography that is key to those reflections.
Tuesday took me, with convertible top down, to Flagstaff where I had a delightful evening staying with David and Kacey Hahn, and their two adorable children, Derek and Gracie. David has been Lutheran Campus Pastor at NAU for five years, but now Kacey, who gets ordained June 3, is taking over that ministry, and David is beginning a new ministry in Flagstaff to the unchurched called “emergent ministry.” More on that later.
Wednesday, convertible top up because of the rain (and the cold the next two days), took me across the beautiful and haunting Navajo desert to Rock Point, where the ELCA supports NELM, Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission, which comprises a school, congregation, and other ministries. I had a great visit with the new Executive Director, Doloros Weis, and several of the other staff, including the couple pictured above, Aaron and Tara Chee. Check out http://www.nelm.org/.
Thursday took me to the Four Corners, and then continuing on Highway 160 through the Colorado towns of Cortez, Durango, through the spectacular Wolf Creek Pass (10,850 feet), settling in for the evening at a motel in Alamosa. Whereas my photography on Wednesday focused on the desert, Thursday it focused on mountains. Colorado is so beautiful, with snow covered mountains everywhere, rising above enchanting, swift-flowing streams. I have never traveled in this manner before: stopping whenever I saw something I wanted to photograph, trying to find scenes that would capture the theological reflections growing out of the reading I am already doing, which has to do with the spiritual significance of desert, mountain, and cloud.
Friday I headed north to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. My wife, Mary, and daughter, Jessi, have gone there twice on their camping trips north, and insisted I see it. Even though it was a considerable drive out of the way, I was not disappointed. I continued north to Denver, passing mountain after mountain over 14,000 feet in height. I stayed the evening with John and Ruth Pederson, seminary friends I had not seen in over twenty years. Our conversation included the changes in church and ministry we have experienced in the over 30 years since we were ordained.
Yesterday I drove through the plains and pasture land of Wyoming, and spent the night in a motel in Lusk, Wyoming with internet service so I could begin writing and posting blogs, begin writing the journal/book that will grow out of this sabbatical, and begin organizing my photography as it corresponds with the theological reflections that will follow in subsequent blogs.
Today I go through the Black Hills of South Dakota and then drive through the Badlands of North Dakota (Theodore Roosevelt National Park). I will stay in that area and then on Monday head to Fargo, North Dakota, where I will pick up my son, Brian, who just completed his sophomore year at Pacific Lutheran University, and we will head to our cabin near Menahga, Minnesota.
My next blog will contain theological reflections from my journey thus far.


No comments: