Thursday, May 17, 2007

Glade Syttende Mai!


Today is Norwegian Constitution Day, and a major holiday in Norway and for many folks with Norwegian ancestry around the world. Since I am half Norwegian and have a BA in Scandinavian Area Studies from the University of Washington, it's a big day for me. At least it's a big day in my head, since I no longer live in Seattle (where there is a wonderful 17 May parade) or Minnesota, and I married a man with Swedish ancestry 3 months ago . I haven't heard of any big norsk parades here in the desert. If you know of any, please pass word on to me.
The "Lutheran Tidbit of the Day" on the sidebar below says that today, 90% of Norwegians are Lutheran. An interesting number, considering how few Norwegians are actually church-goers. When I attended the International Summer School at the University of Oslo in the summer of 1993 a few of my American classmates and I went to worship most Sundays. And the 5 or 6 of us easily doubled the number of worshipers on more than one occasion. More about "cultural religion" another time.
For now, just think "Ja, vi elsker dette landet, som det stiger frem..."

2 comments:

Edward Jensen said...

Belated Syttende Mai greetings to you, too!

mary e. said...

Syttende Mai passed me by this year. Next year we need to have a smorgasbord with a Viking ship centerpiece. Jai ar so glade to know someone who wants to celebate.