Thursday, April 5, 2007

Maundy Thursday



It's already the Thursday of Holy Week - Maundy Thursday, from mandatum - commandment. Jesus has indeed given us a new commandment - one that after some 2000 years we still aren't that great at keeping, most of the time.

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you." (John 13:34)



It is hard to remember this mandate to love is a gift. To us, for us.



Jesus come, my feet are dirty. You have become a servant for my sake, so fill your basin with water; come, wash my feet. I know that I am bold in saying this, but your own words have made me fearful: "If I do not wash your feet, you will have no companionship with me." Wash my feet, then, so that I may be your companion!
But what am I saying: "Wash my feet"? Peter could say these words, for all that needed washing were his feet. For the rest, he was completely clean. I must be made clean with that other washing of which you said: "I hve a baptism with which I must be baptized."
--- Origen, Third Century

No comments: