Tuesday, April 10, 2007

On the Third Day of Easter...


Happy Easter!

Today is the third of the Great Fifty Days of Easter. I love that our biggest days aren't just days but whole seasons - most of the world could use 50 days to think about resurrection and everlasting life, I think. It certainly helps me put things in perspective.
Around here sometimes I hear people say things like "Well, now that Easter's over..." and I want to remind them that it's not over it's just begun! I wonder if people have always been in a hurry to get over a holiday and get on with "regular" life. I know that it happens in the malls and the stores, after all, who buys Christmas decorations on the 27th of December (the 3rd of the 12 days of Christmas?)
I just finally put out Easter decorations at home yesterday - and they'll stay out until the 26th of May (the Day of Pentecost is May 27th this year). I imagine that guests will wonder about the bunny and the flowers a couple of weeks from now, even more so at the beginning of Memorial Day weekend. If it lets me tell the story, so much the better. After all, every Sunday is a "little Easter" - a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus.
Alleluia! Christ is risen!

No comments: