Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Someone's Reading My Mind

I think someone is reading my mind. Each day someone reads my mind, figures out where I will be traveling that day, and then makes sure that on nearly every road there will be road construction. When I lived in North Dakota we used to joke that our four seasons of the year were fall, winter, spring, and construction. The weather is so beautiful here in Phoenix that you can do construction year around. And we do.

Now, the major construction, which has been going on for some time, and will continue for some time, is the building of a light rail system, which I fully support. But, between that, and all the water main or sewer repair going on in the part of town where I live--well, it seems I am constantly driving through construction, and the patterns of that construction change every day.

Now, I know I am exaggerating, and no one is really reading my mind, but don't we have days when that seems to be the case? Don't we have days when we get a bit paranoid and think the world is out to get us?

The best way to deal with construction is to leave a bit earlier than usual, take a deep breath, pray for patience, and find ways to enjoy the ride, such as listening to a favorite CD or using bluetooth technology on your cell phone to talk to a good friend. Luther once said that he was so busy he had to take time to pray. When we have hectic days, or days where everything seems to be going against us, we would also do well to slow down, take a few deep breaths, pray for patience, and see if there aren't some things we can enjoy during the ride.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job, PB.
Welcome to the Millenium! Glad to see you embracing the technology. - and great advise, too.

Ron

Anonymous said...

My mantra when I drive through traffic and construction areas is, "It's not about you, it's not personal, they don't even know you." It helps to keep it in perspective.

If I ever reach the point when I believe it IS about me and my oh-so important schedule, it'll be time to buy a bus pass.

Unknown said...

Greetings, Pastor Brian! Ah, the joy of living in a small town. We don't deal with traffic, noise, or pollution, but I'm becoming more aware of how crucial the weather is to farmers. As for the seasons, so far we have only had winter - as it snowed yesterday, April 13!

As for construction zones, or clogged freeways, I use that time to pray - it makes the wait seem shorter and I find myself not getting so frustrated.

I like the idea of this blog! I may have to start something similar for my congregation.

Blessings,